A couple of weeks ago, my beloved laptop, VGER (shown here wearing her favorite hat), succumbed to sudden deceleration syndrome and basically shattered. The "event" happened in my auxiliary server room. Since I had to transfer some files, I was using the ethernet cable rather than the wireless. My grace and coordination manifested by wrapping my leg around said cable and pulling the laptop about 5 feet to the ground. I think the mainboard and RAM survived. Nothing else did. The keyboard broke, the screen cracked, and the hard drive. Holy crap! 
I've never seen the platter actually shatter. Heh. That rhymes. I'm a poet and I didn't even realize it. When I was disassembling VGER that night, Kim asked why the hard drive rattled. I popped the cover and discovered this - complete with fingerprints from when I dropped half of the pieces.
Now I am using an Acer Ferrari 4000. Yes, Acer actually licensed the Ferrari logo from the car manufacturer, so it it has graphite and Ferrari-red trim and the Ferrari logo on it. The silly thing actually came with a red polishing cloth so I could keep my machine all shiny. It is also huge and heavy, unlike the old VGER. I'm on my way to Pittsburgh and it is already annoying to move around to hotels. But she's fairly fast, which is something I can't say about VGER. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment