Wednesday, January 14, 2009

That Age Old Question

Dudes,

The question then, is, what do we do with our cds? I gave my 5 cd changer away to a kid who helped us move in here. Not that I needed it since our 5 dvd changer plays cds. But, as you can guess, we never play cds in it. Even if my cds were out somewhere, it's just too much work to find one, open it, load it, wait, and then play it. So yes, iPods have made listening to music so much more easier. I don't have the thing yet that lets you play your iPod through your receiver, but I think it would be cool. I mean, since you have the big nice speakers you should use them for more than watching tv and movies in surround sound. Which brings us back to cds. Once you've got a few hundred of them, they take up some space. I have several boxes of them in my closet. I guess I'm hanging on to them as the originals if I ever need them. Just 20 years ago they were so cool and cutting edge. A shiny little disk that could hold 70 minutes of music. Now, we use them as coasters and frisbees. I'm sure that 20 years from now we'll be talking about now in the early
21st century our iPods were external and needed a cable to synch. How primitive.

1 comment:

  1. iPods are so yesterday. At home, I run an app called Ampache. This allows me to stream all of my music over my network. I've got the ampache server (an old laptop with a busted display - thanks Ryan!) plugged into my reciever, so I can even direct sound to that if I wish, or just stream it to my PC - at home or work. Some guy even wrote an ampache browser for the Android-based phones, so when I get one of those, I won't be limited to the biggest drive Apple can stuff into a tiny package - I'll just play whatever I want off my machines at home over the ether. I've got my ampache server connected to a friend's, so I get all of his music too.

    Yay open-source technology!

    ReplyDelete